The Education for Sustainable Development Explained is a resource material meant for educators both at formal and non formal level. This ESD Explained is meant to clarify key issues in the ESD concept and guide educators on how to go about the process of implementing ESD. However, more emphasis is placed on how teachers could integrate ESD in diverse subject areas. The ESD Explained postulates that there is need to relook at the processes and expected outcomes of educational engagements to ensure reorientation to sustainable development.
This ESD Explained presents ESD arguments in a simplified manner and is user friendly. The ESD Explained digital content has covered several components such as:
• The evolving concept of sustainable development from a global and local perspective.
• The concept of ESD, major thrusts of ESD and stakeholders targetted
• ESD implementation strategies
• United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (UNDESD) and Global Action Programme (GAP)
• Kenya's progress in implementing ESD and UNDESD
• Actionable areas in implementation of ESD
• How to facilitate ESD within the formal context taking into consideration eleven (11) subject areas
• How to facilitate ESD using non-formal and informal forums
In each area, efforts have been made to use appropriate photos and other illustrations.