About Tibetan-English Dictionary
Note: an online version of this dictionary application is also available at: http://dictionary.christian-steinert.de
Furthermore, you can also download the Android APK file for this application for manual installation at http://www.christian-steinert.de.
This dictionary app contains several Tibetan-English, Tibetan-Tibetan, and Tibetan-Sanskrit dictionaries. Thanks go to the authors and compilers of these dictionaries and glossaries without whose work this app would not be possible. The following material is currently contained:
- Dr. Alexander Berzin's English-Tibetan-Sanskrit Glossary.
- Richard Barron's glossary. © Copyright 2002 by Turquoise Dragon Media Services.
- Thomas Doctor's Tibetan-English terms
- Tibetan and English terms from: "Buddhist Terms - Multilingual Version", Edited by Peter Gäng and Sylvia Wetzel, Buddhist Academy Berlin Brandenburg (June 2004)
- "Verbinator" Tibetan Verb Dictionary (Verbinator 2000). Taken from: Hill, Nathan (2010) "A Lexicon of Tibetan Verb Stems as Reported by the Grammatical Tradition" (Munich: Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften, ISBN 978-3-7696-1004-8. If you want to support the author and the publisher please consider buying this book (regular price: 58 EUR plus shipping).
- Tsepak Rigdzin - Tibetan-English Dictionary of Buddhist Terms
- The Uma Institute for Tibetan Studies Tibetan-Sanskrit-English Dictionary (Version: June 2015) by Jeffrey Hopkins and others.
- "Common Chinese-Tibetan-Sanskrit-English Buddhist Terminology", Compiled by Chung-An Lin, assisted by Hou-Wha Wang (only the English and Tibetan terminology is incluced in the application so far).
- Dan Martin: “Tibetan Vocabulary.”, April 2003.
- Glossary for Mipham Rinpoche's Gateway to Knowledge, Vol. 1 (Rangjung Yeshse Publications)
- James Valby's Tibetan-English Dictionary. © James Valby.
- Ives Waldo's glossary compilation. © Ives Waldo.
- Glossary of Tibetan Computer Terms by the China Tibetology Research Center
- Various Tibetan definitions from major textbook authors of Sera Monastery (Tibetan)
- Dung Dkar tshig mdzod chen mo (Tibetan)
- Dag yig gsar bsgrigs (Tibetan)
- Mahavyutpatti (Sanskrit terms)
- Glossary Based on the Mahāvyutpatti and Yogacarabhumi compiled by Richard Mahoney (Sanskrit terms)
More information about these dictionaries is available inside of the app itself.
Input occurs in Wylie or with a Tibetan keyboard layout (you can for example use the Tibetan keyboard from "Iron Rabbit" (Lobsang Monlam) which is available in the Google Play Store if you don't want to type in Wylie transliteration). If you prefer wylie input then you can use the app straight away without installing any additional keyboards.
See also www.christian-steinert.de for further resources and pointers to other Tibetan dictionary programs.
This app needs to extract about 100 MB of dictionary data onto your device. This means that you need to have sufficient space on the internal memory of your device so that the app will work. If you have enough space but still encounter any problems when the applications starts up then please contact me and I will try to understand the problem that occurs on your device. Normally the app should work on all devices with Android 4.0 and higher but if it doesn't work for you then let me know. Some older Android devices have problems with showing the Tibetan font in the text field in which you are typing. In this case the only thing you can do is to change the application settings and tell the application to show the input text in Wylie transliteration instead of Tibetan script.